Wednesday 29 June 2011

Ten Minutes With...




Model, Writer and Oxfam Ambassador

Laura Bailey




Current fascinations?
Currently googling - Paris hotels, Botswana safaris, vintage Chanel, Oxfam projects, Bon Iver and bicycles.


What scares you?
Making a speech at my best friend's wedding next weekend.

Describe yourself in three words.
Mother of 2.

Laura in Ghana for Oxfam


Perfect holiday destination?
North Island,Seychelles. But happy with Cornwall...

What would you eat at your last supper?
A vegetarian feast cooked by Skye Gyngell...

Skye Gyngell


Which five people would be joining you?
My best friends. They know who they are.

Last fashion disaster?
Packed a favourite vintage dress next to a bottle of red nail varnish ..

Favourite London hangout?
Bay 66 skatepark with my kids...Quite like a cocktail at Claridges in the tiny Fumoir bar too. Or a pizza at Pizza East Portobello.

The Fumoir Bar in Claridges


You can wear three designers for the rest of your life. Who are they?
Chanel, Stella McCartney and Isabel Marant.

What annoys you?
My failure to learn to speak fluent Italian despite it being my new years resolution for the last ten years...

What impresses you?
Loyalty and fearlessness.

What would you do with a day to yourself, no children, no work?
Big sleep,long walk in the park with my puppy,lunch with all my favourite girls..and a matinee movie.....

What's next?
Backwards and forwards from Paris to write and shoot for Vanity Fair....and hopefully the whole of August off with my kids....


Laura for Comic Relief


Full English or egg white omelette?
Proper omelette.

What was your inspiration for the Made collection?
To make a collection that was authentic,affordable and ethical...that me and my girlfriends would want to wear,and which fuses traditional skills and techniques with my own style and vision.My sketches and moodboards included tribal headdresses and the simplest geometric shapes,spears and jasmine buds...colour palettes and beading patterns....Much happy experimentation in the workshop. Plus my desire to tell the story of a business that grew out of the Kenyan slums at the same time...

In the Made workshop


Who do you admire?
Christiane Amanpour,Livia Firth,Stella McCartney,Thandie Newton,Sam Taylor Wood....I have a long list of heroic women in my life...

With Thandie Newton and Tory Burch


What's on your Autumn Winter shopping list?
Bella Freud knitwear,a Roland Mouret gold dress I wore on a shoot last week and cant stop thinking about,and a pair of scarlet heels by Charlotte Olympia.



No comments: