Monday 7 March 2011







Last week I had a real urge to craft. Two days later, the biggest Amazon package known to man was sitting on my kitchen table. Filled with wax, wicks, inks, stamps - it was time to get crafty.
I've always loved a candle, especially those ones in old teacups so thought that's where I'd begin. Our home is now full of candles- so full that poor Chaz couldn't even find anywhere to put his pint down on saturday night - it looks like some kind of shrine in here. Anyway, I feel very proud of myself, especially when people refuse to believe they're homemade. So if you're in the mood to make something and have someone that needs a present, here's how below.





Ingredients
Pretty Tea cups
Candle wax
Candle Wick
Wick holders
Chopsticks
Sellotape
Large saucepan
Smaller non stick pan






Step 1 – Measure out the wax. The wax comes in flakes and I fill the cup up with the wax one and a half times.

Step 2 - Pour the wax into the smaller pan, which is sitting in the bigger pan that is half full of water.

Step 3 - Melt the wax in the Bain marie

Step 4 - While the wax is melting prepare your teacup. Cut a length of wick and pull it through the metal wick holder. You can buy special metal pins to hold the wicks in place so it stays straight but someone told me I could use chopsticks and Sellotape instead and be resourceful.

Step 5 - When the wax has melted and is clear in colour, gently pour it into the teacup.

Step 6 - Don't be tempted to move it around as you'll have cracks in the wax when it sets. Be patient and I promise it will set.

Step 7 - Trim the wick and voila!




As soon as you've made one, you'll want to turn everything you see into a candle. Other vessels you can use are, bowls, large shells, ash trays - anything basically. You can also add oils to give them a delicious smell and for a bit of colour, you can buy coloured wax, but grating a bit of a crayon into the saucepan will work just as well.




No comments: