Tuesday 21 August 2012

The Kitchen Sink...



I never really understood what all the fuss was about when people with children used to complain about the difficulties of packing to go on holiday.  Why should it be any more difficult than normal, pre-baby packing... you just need a few more babygrows, no?
We are going to France this week and I cannot believe how deciding what to take, has turned into a full scale military operation.  It's meant to be a holiday.  I've been mentally making lists for the past couple of weeks and now I actually have to get on with it.    There's just so much stuff...
Clothes. Just-in-case-medicines. Baby food -yes I know there are supermarkets in France but what if the Smallest Prince decides French food is not for him?  sterilisers, suncream in mousse, cream and spray forms, in every possible factor.
   Do I really need four sun hats for each Cub?  Twenty pairs of tiny shorts? Will I wear all five pairs of shoes even though we'll be on the beach 90% of the time? Probably not.  
But I like to be prepared for all eventualities.  

I learnt my lesson when we went to Tresco in the Scilly Isles in July.  It rains a lot there.  So, naturally,  I took enough waterproofs to keep the whole island dry.  It was sunny and hot every single day.  And all I'd packed was cashmere and jeans.  And my favourite Paul Smith semi-lightweight trousers. Which I wore for seven days straight and are consequently now ruined from too much sand, seaweed and general over exposure.  


This time I'm not going to be caught out.  The car might buckle under the extreme weight en route to the airport or failing that we will end up paying more for excess baggage than the whole holiday has cost us but as least I'll be prepared come rain or shine.  Or if there's a passing tornado, flood or snow storm.







No comments: