Monday 24 September 2012

Beauty School




The other day someone asked me if I was eight years older than I actually am.  That, combined with the  very unwelcome arrival of far too many - premature in my opinion- wrinkles, has led to a bit of a meltdown.  I know that I'm not a spring chicken any more; I will be 30 quite soon and I have two small hooligan boys who insist on me getting no more than 6 hours sleep a night.  It's not an obvious recipe for flawless, gorgeous skin.  The worrying thing, is that I cant really see it getting any better.  I'm not going to do a Benjamin Button and get miraculously younger over night.   And I doubt the Cubs have plans on doing more sleeping any time soon.  So I've taken action. 





First step was a make-up lesson.  I had one on my fifteenth birthday and am embarrassed to say I don't think I've learnt any more tricks since.  I do now know that frosted lipstick perhaps isn't my best look though.  I went in determined not to come home  having spent an absolute fortune.  It's just so miraculous though. You walk in looking and feeling like a grey, wrinkly old hag, barely unable to look at your reflection and then twenty minutes later - you're completely unrecognisable. I challenge anyone to go in for a makeover and come out empty handed.  I did pretty well and managed to escape with only the bare essentials.  All Chantecaille - I love a pretty package. And it's French - so clearly works.  I got a pot of gel foundation, a magic concealer wand and loose powder.  It's taken me a while to get over the fact that I own loose powder - I'm of the belief that powder is for the over 70's only.  Sonia -the makeup artist- tells me otherwise. Apparently it's as important as a good foundation.  I'm not convinced but am quite enjoying not being shiny for once.  





Second step is a brand new Clarisonic Mia.  I was very lucky to be sent one as a present as they don't come cheap.  It's a face cleaning and buffing contraption that's meant to be twenty times better than bog standard cleansing.  My nightly routine takes quite long enough as it is - Chaz is usually out cold by the time I've finished - so I was a little wary that it was just going to add even longer to the proceedings.  It's weirdly made things quicker - a quick 60 seconds whizzing it over your face and you're done.  And I really do think it's making a difference.  Honestly.  





It's quite ironic really - I buy all that swanky make up and could now quite happily carry on life without it. It makes me feel quite grown up though which is always nice.  And it looks pretty in my bathroom.

Next step, the health spa...

No comments: