Thursday 5 April 2012

Head for Bed





I'm feeling a bit sad that I've only got a few more bits of the house left to decorate. I could quite happily do the whole thing all over again. Maybe without the stress of the builders. All our beds are still headless though so my latest and nearly last project is designing headboards. I have three to make and have just come back from a meeting with the lovely Donna, a magical seamstress in Mid Wales who is going to translate my designs into the real thing. And for a quarter of the price of buying ready made ones.

I want each one to be very different from the next and have spent hours trying to come up with new and original ideas. Lets face it, head boards aren't usually the most exciting of things.


I love the idea of having an antique, Indian balcony in my paisley room but am having slight issues finding one that costs less than £2000.









I bought this wooden screen years ago from a shop on Portobello road and painted it off white. We have it in our bedroom as the headboard and it's been slowly turning pink over time which I love. I was quite tempted to get another one for our grey room but it's quite a statement so thought it'd look a bit too same-y.

I'll probably end up going down the typical upholstered route with all three as there are so many divine fabrics that I want to use. Some of the ones in the running are below...

'Cordoba' by Bennison

Bennison



Two heavenly Penny Morrison fabrics.
Although I'd be very happy with any of her designs.




Peter Dunham paisleys


Nicholas Herbert



Two Vaughan sensations



John Robshaw 'Lanka Oyster'


Other possibles are to use old doors and mirrors; although having glass hanging above your head does make me slightly nervous...





No comments: